SPACE VACATION,THE MUSICAL
The sci-fi musical comedy for the whole family
Book, Lyrics, and Music
by Jonathan L. Segal
is also streaming on
Spotify, iTunes, YouTube, etc.
"Jonathan Segal's "SPACE VACATION" is a wonderful musical adventure. Great tunes, great arrangements, great production! "
-Steve Orich, Orchestrator of the Grammy and Tony-winning Musical "Jersey Boys"
"Wow, Jonathan! So great to have the whole show, so beautifully recorded. I just bought it on iTunes and now I'm going to listen to it all over again. What a terrific score! Kudos!"
-Jeffrey Kindley, book writer for Broadway's “Is There Life After High School?”
Notable quotes on
"As a lifelong musical theater fanatic myself, I can safely say these songs are pure hits — melodic, digestible, delightful and more."
-Spencer Cain, ilovetheupperwestside.com
BLAST OFF WITH THE BLUE FAMILY
FROM THE BRIGHT YELLOW PLANET!
Scroll the 22 song titles
and click to hear..
"Space Vacation, fun for the whole family. Great music and lyrics by the very talented Jonathan Segal. I had a tremendous amount of fun working on it."
PPI Recording Inc. NYC
You can also email Jonathan at
Hi, SPACE VACATION listeners. I like to know how musical projects are created, so it occurred to me that you might be interested in how this album came about.
I wrote the music, lyrics and the book of the show. I then orchestrated and played every note you hear using Logic Pro software in my tiny home recording studio. All instrument sounds were played through a piano-like keyboard into my computer. This took many months. Once all 22 tracks were completed, I contacted my old friend Chip Fabrizi at PPI studios in New York City. Chip was adept at working out a method of transferring my uptown Logic Pro files into his Pro Tools software in his downtown studio. Then I advertised for actors online and over a period of weeks vetted nearly 300 actors. I listened to their submitted audio files, videos, and I read their resumes. Lauren had just moved to NYC from Oklahoma, Nick is from the tri-state area, Keegan's mom brought him into town from Alabama to record the show, and Lucia flew from Barbados to New York to sing with us. They are all extremely talented, great to work with, and they came up not only with great characters in their singing of the four lead family members, but also many other voices and characters that are scattered through out the songs. When you hear the dialogue sections, it may interest you to know that none of the four actors ever met or sang on the same day. It's all about timing! Chip also made studio magic to fine tune these dialog sections so that they sound natural. Finally, the black and white SPACE VACATION logo was created by my brother, Bob Segal, and the color animation artwork was created by well, honestly, I don't remember who. But you'll be glad to know that they got paid (it was a long time ago in another galaxy). -Jonathan
Cast-tronauts & Credits
Keegan Gulledge as Haon
Lucia Long as illoh
Nick Gaswirth as Ynnoj
Chip Fabrizi (at right) Recording Engineer
Lauren Reece as Lorac
The original tracks were mixed at my home studio. The vocals were recorded at PPI Studios, New York, by Chip Fabrizi. He also worked endless studio magic on my mixes that I didn't think could be done. Chip also mastered the final tracks for inter-planetary consumption. Please consume them.
Who's Singing which songs?
1) Overture- Hmmm, nobody's singing.
2) Opening-Bright Yellow Planet- Everybody = cast of 4
3) I Always Wonder- Keegan, and speaking, Lucia
4) The Universe Is Like A Song- Everybody
5) Oh, P.S. Eleventy-Two- Nick, Lucia, Keegan
6) We're On The Road To A Cosmic Adventure- Everybody
7) One-Hundred Quarks- Everybody
8) Bright Yellow Planet, 1st Reprise- Everybody
9) When Your Father And I First Met- Lauren, Nick,
and speaking, Keegan and Lucia
10) I'm Gonna Meet Myself Grown up!- Keegan
11) We're Eating Ourselves Out Of House And Home-
Nick. Just Nick. Really.
12) Attack Of The Space Notes- Everybody
13) Sing A Song Of Shopping- Everybody, plus
whistling- Jonathan Segal & "Wooo!" by Carol Segal
14) The Shnobafeefuch Family Singers- Nick and Lucia, and a speck of Jonathan
15) This Boy Is So Smart- Nick
16) Once There Was A Little Girl- Lauren and Nick, and speaking, Lucia
17) Siblings- Everybody
18) Everything Seems To Be Well - Everybody
19) Bright Yellow Planet, 2nd Reprise- Everybody
20) Oh, P.S. Eleventy-Two, Reprise- Lucia, Keegan
21) We're On The Road To A Cosmic Adventure, Reprise
22) The Universe Is Like A Song, Reprise- Everybody